Blogs are great when you have a real passion for writing something, whether it’s for business or pleasure. And blogs are a great online marketing tool; the best will draw a large audience, and will boost your SEO activity.
Here are my 10 golden rules for blogging:
- Be very clear of your aims and objectives for the blog.
- Keep it simple and focused – try to avoid corporate speak or industry jargon – it’s not just another website.
- Be passionate and authoritative but with an element of fun.
- Update your blog regularly. On average I recommend twice weekly.
- Create fresh, eye-catching content – originality is key – be passionate in what you want to say.
- Be honest if your blog relates to your products and services.
- Encourage conversation; invite and encourage fellow-bloggers to comment, and listen to what they have to say. Invite guests onto your blog.
- Bloggers hate being sold to, so avoid using hard sell tactics.
- Add inbound and outbound links to your site. The idea is to entice people to your website.
- Socialise with other bloggers and encourage them to communicate your key messages.